Counting is underway for the 75 municipalities of Gujarat, where the results were held on 17 February. Early results show the BJP and the Congress are neck and neck.
Of the results declared so far, the BJP has won 16, while the Congress has won 12 municipalities. The BJP has won Jafrabad, Lathi and Chalala barely four months after it lost all five seats in the district to Congress party in assembly elections.
Congress has registered a huge victory in Rajula municipality in Amreli by toppling the BJP. The Congress won 27 out of 28 while the BJP’s tally was reduced to just 1, reported India Express. Rajula is hometown of Amrish Der, the Congress candidate who defeated BJP’s four-time MLA, Hira Solanki, on his way to winning Rajula Assembly constituency.
The 75 municipalities are spread over 28 districts of the state. BJP currently rules 59 of the 75 municipal corporations in the state. BJP had won Jafrabad municipality unopposed.
Results are also expected for two district panchayats, 17 talukas and 1400 village panchayats.
In the crucial assembly polls held last year, the BJP had narrowly won the polls with the Congress making significant improvement in its performance by adding 19 more seats than its tally in 2012. The BJP, on the other hand, had lost more 17 seats.
- BJP wins Dhandhuka Nagar Palika. The saffron party has won 14 seats while the Congress has got 13.
- Congress registers a huge victory in Rajula municipality in Amreli by toppling the BJP. The Congress won 27 out of 28 while the BJP’s tally was reduced to just 1
- BJP snatches away Chalala municipality from Congress.
- BJP retians Gadhda municipality in Botad district and Dwarka municipality in Devbhumi Dwarka district.
- Congress has defeated BJP in Salaya municipality in Devbhumi Dwarka district by winning the civic body here. The BJP was leading here when the counting began.
- BJP retains Kalavad and A Jamjodhpur municipalities in Jamnagar district, also wrests control of Dhrol municipality from Congress.